How to Promote Your Website: Free Tips for Beginners!
We have created step-by-step, simple, and understandable instructions to help you develop your online resource without extra costs.
Today, we will discuss the main ways to promote sites, their pros and cons. We also described how best to increase the ranking of web pages and shared the secrets of successful website promotion.
Thanks to this instruction, you will be able to create a full-fledged plan for promoting your site and establish successful communication with visitors to the resource.
Why you need to promote your web resources on the Internet
Today it is not enough just to create a website for your business and expect immediate results.
Without the right site promotion strategy, the web resources will not attract potential visitors and, obviously, will not bring maximum income.
By creating a clear promotion plan, you will be able to get new customers, and your site will increase its ranking among search engines, which, of course, will improve its traffic and reach.
Work on the site’s promotion takes much time and does not always give an instant effect because, for the right strategy, you need to do a comprehensive analysis and be ready to monitor competitors and your target audience constantly.
However, after the first months of hard work on the promotion, you can see pleasing results.
Self-promotion of the site
Now we will try to discuss step by step the independent promotion of the site and help you better understand the different methods and approaches.
Website promotion through search engines (SEO)
Advantages of this method:
- not expensive;
- has a positive effect on website traffic;
- a long-term promotion result.
Disadvantages of SEO promotion:
- a large amount of work;
- not instant result;
- sometimes needs additional employees;
- dependent on search engine algorithms.
SEO promotion requires much time and basic knowledge of search engine optimization. Let’s take a closer look at the basic SEO terminology so that our tips are even more understandable for you.
How to start SEO promotion
1. Setting up analytics systems.
Install Yandex Metrica and Webmaster, Google Сonsole, and Analytics on the site. Set goals in analytics systems.
2. Search engines and page indexing
First of all, check the indexing of pages in Yandex and Google services. Both resources must have an equal number of indexed pages. It is also necessary to delete copies of sites, for example, test domains. In addition, duplicate pages should also be removed from the index. Check if promoted pages have been accidentally excluded from the index.
- a unique title for each page with keywords at the beginning;
- removal of hidden text;
- quick links;
- correct content relinking;
- title and alt attributes for images;
- correct and understandable names of images on the site;
- filled-in Keywords;
- optimized headers H1, H2, H3;
- distributed weight of links for the most useful and necessary pages;
- on the site, you need to create a navigation ribbon;
- fix “hanging node”.
4. Keywords; the semantic core of the site
- Key queries are best collected from different resources;
- use of Yandex and Google prompts;
- the use of jargon and slang in search queries, as well as erroneous expressions, abbreviations, and synonyms;
- distribution of search queries into informative and commercial ones;
- always up-to-date semantic core, in which there are no non-target queries;
- the semantic core should contain clusters – groups of words that are promoted on different pages;
5. Optimization for Commerce
- Accessible information about the company – add certificates and licenses, as well as legal details;
- add details about delivery, payment, promotions, discounts, product returns, credit options, and warranty periods;
- make sure that customer support is always up to date;
- avoid third-party advertising resources on your website;
- expand the range;
- make the basket available on any page;
- add the ability to register through social networks;
- if the resource is inter-regional, then create a button “Select city”;
- It’s best to have email on your own domain.
6. Contact information
Always indicate all possible options for contacting you on the site so that the client chooses a convenient way. These can be online communication (usually all available social networks), contact numbers, feedback forms, and online consultation. You can also leave the “Call me back” button.
7. Product card and ways to improve it
Product descriptions should always be accessible and understandable. The product card must contain up-to-date information about the product: price and payment methods, availability, cost and delivery time, detailed characteristics of the product, clear photos, reviews, etc. For convenience, leave the option to add the product to “Favorites”.
8. Website optimization by external resources
- a link to your site on other resources; pages containing links must be indexed;
- competitive link weight;
- links, visible to all search engines;
- no spam in the anchor list;
- avoid links from sites with a bad reputation;
- use available methods, including free ones, to get links;
- use crowd marketing;
- there should be mentions of your product/service/brand on the Internet.
9. Checking for search engine filters
To carry out such a check and ensure that everything is in place, first use the Yandex Webmaster and Google Console resources. They should not contain any warnings; there should also be no affiliated sites. In addition, the texts should be with a moderate number of keywords and keep advertising to a minimum.
10. Regional promotion
The site must have regional pages, and reviews contain the names of settlements. Place a link to the site in the online directories of Google and Yandex. Also, Yandex Webmaster will help you link the site to a specific region if necessary. If there are regional sites, add their link to the site. Improve the accuracy of displaying the location of your branches with the help of the Geositemap resource.
11. Analysis of behavioral factors
Behavioral factors determine the quality of user experience for specific sites. In particular, it is time the client spends on the site; the number of pages visited in one session, that is, the depth; failures; whether there was a return to the search or from the search to the site; distribution in social media networks, etc.
What can be done to improve these factors?
- easy to read font;
- website adaptation for mobile devices;
- increase the time spent by the client on the site so that it remains competitive in the future;
- for convenience, place the primary information in the usual for this places;
- improve the appearance of snippets;
- find and correct the cause of poor failure rates.
12. Local promotion
With this optimization method, you can get top positions in search engines for geo-queries (when a specific user location is indicated)
How to successfully work with this type of promotion:
- get into local news sites;
- register your site on such resources as Yandex Directory, 2GiS, Google My Business, Maps.me, as well as Yandex Maps;
- in addition to the above sites, register in local directories;
- use Google Maps to create a virtual tour;
- create a semantic core based on geo-queries;
- add the address to the pages of social networks;
- the snippet should contain the address, contact phone number, and reviews about the company.
SMM - promotion
To date, promotion through social networks is the most accessible and relevant way. Users spend a lot of time on social networks, allowing us to use this experience to promote our products.
- broad audience and easy to find your target;
- communication with your subscribers;
- easy maintenance;
- fast start.
- great competition;
- constant involvement in work, the need to be active and creative;
- a sharp change in algorithms that affect coverage, etc.;
- blocking pages without the possibility of return.
How to start a social media promotion?
1. Registration in social networks and their settings.
Today many social networks are popular all over the world. For promotion, you can choose Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube, Telegram, Viber, Vkontakte, and others.
2. Set up basic information.
We give the account a name that reflects the company’s concept and work on changing the user ID in the URL. Next, we upload the main profile photo, add a description about the company, leave a post-acquaintance with helpful navigation, or work on the Menu tab (if there is one) to find information that users need. We publish goods with a detailed descriptions, photos, and videos. We are actively working to fill the “Reviews” tab and gain buyers’ trust.
3. Tasks for everyday
Checking comments and messages. Creation and sharing of publications and stories.
4. Weekly tasks
- Develop a content plan and distribute technical tasks for a team of copywriters, photo and videographers, designers, and other employees involved in the content creation process.
- study of statistics and coverage;
- follow trends, study the sympathies of your target audience and watch competitors always to be aware of current events.
5. Varieties of content for social networks
- live video broadcasts;
- popular trends;
- interesting video content;
- interview or podcast;
- expert publications;
- helpful quotes from experts in your industry;
- infographic posts;
- personal reflections on various topics related to your industry;
- news in your field.
6. Methods for attracting new subscribers
- encouragement of subscribers – giveaways or contests;
- attracting influencers and buying their advertising;
- increase activity;
- creation of guest content;
- the uniqueness of the content;
- attraction of partners;
- advertising in applications;
- printed advertising.
Target or targeted advertising is a method of online promotion when your ads are displayed only to a specific target audience with particular parameters set. Most often, this method is used in social networks. Thus, you can select a separate group potentially interested in your product. As a rule, they rely on such parameters as age, gender, interests, place of residence, marital status, the existence of children, income level, etc.
With the help of a target, you can increase the number of subscribers, reach, and traffic, spread information about the product among more people, enhance not only online sales but also promote offline outlets and get leads.
SSO - promotion
Today it is believed that it is not enough to promote the site only in search results, but it is better to use the entire search space. What independent steps for this type of promotion can you do? Start working with a broad search field and try to attract visitors from various external resources, thus getting your new audience. In addition, actively engage in selecting a client base and work with this material.
Which platforms can be used for such promotion:
- sites with ads;
- sites with reviews database;
- informational resources;
- large trading platforms;
Of course, different external resources will fit each site, so be sure to strategize and select the right resources when using this method.
Content Marketing Promotion
- improving the traffic quality;
- increasing the coverage of the new target audience;
- the brand becomes more recognizable, and trust in it grows;
- new sources of traffic appear;
- growing sales;
- improved reputation;
- the result of such promotion, as a rule, is long-term.
- this way of promotion is financially and labor-intensive;
- instant effect from the promotion is unlikely.
This type of promotion requires the creation of useful, high-quality, and unique content that will distinguish your company from competitors. You can promote any content, but a clear strategy is essential; it can be different courses, photos, articles, etc. The main thing is that this content can attract visitors. Content marketing requires a broad knowledge and understanding of the subject for successful promotion.
Not every business needs content marketing. There are different formats of companies for which such promotion is simply not suitable. And there are those for whom this is absolutely the best solution.
Your business needs content marketing if:
- you sell expensive goods;
- you understand that this type of promotion requires many finances, experts, and time. You know that this promotion is not done “in one day”;
- you need effective lead generation and organic traffic;
- your business is relatively new, and the niche is empty, or you are just starting to develop your brand.
Content marketing is not for you if:
- your products are cheap and straightforward, usually widely available;
- defective goods;
- goods of “one day” for impulsive purchases or hot offers;
- local business. This form of promotion is not suitable for a small local store because people will not go to the other end of the city for shopping that can be done near the house. In this case, content marketing will not be able to influence the coming of customers.
How to promote your website with content marketing
- Research the market, competitors, and target audience. Analyze how they interact with content;
- search users’ queries associated with your site to help you highlight keywords and, based on them, form topics for articles;
- involve as many people as possible to create content ideas;
- select the type of content to promote the site. It can be different articles, photos or videos, news, interviews, publications on social networks, etc.;
- Based on the analysis, create a content plan. It is needed for the proper operation of your promotion. You can create it yourself or hire professionals. First of all, the publications must be regular;
- your texts must be grammatically correct, with high uniqueness; you can add photo content and infographics to them;
- add the ability to move the page to “Favorites” or share it;
- add tags to the page;
- adjust your strategy depending on the effectiveness of promotion and coverage statistics.
What materials can be used for promotion?
These can be various articles, news, customer reviews, previews, unboxings, an FAQ section, online training, showing the work from the inside with added photos and videos, expert interviews, master classes, etc.
Where you can most effectively distribute content to get results:
- specialized Internet resources;
- social media;
- sending emails;
- thematic blogs.
Contextual advertising for promotion
Contextual advertising is a method of Internet promotion, with the help of which the user sees an ad depending on searches and actions on the Web. Such advertising has the grandest response because it is personalized.
You can find contextual advertising mainly on mobile devices, applications, search engines, websites, etc.
How to start promotion on contextual advertising? This requires one of the Google Ads or Yandex.Direct systems, where you can directly set up promotions.
- Easy start and a relatively immediate effect.
- stopping of the stream of new applications without further payment;
- constant optimization;
- the chances of not getting into the target audience and not getting a positive result.
How to start setting up contextual advertising on your own?
- installation of metrics from Yandex and Google, where you need to set up tracking the effectiveness of an advertising campaign;
- add your accounts to such resources as AdWords, Analytics, Direct, and Metrika;
- for trading platforms, better set up e-commerce ;
- enable call tracking, if required;
- determine the semantic core;
- each separate category of products requires its own landing ad.
- determine what the structure of the advertising campaign should be;
- set up targeting by time, place, and language;
- add basic information about working hours and contacts;
- add the quick links;
- links must contain UTM tags;
- the metric needs to be added to each separate advertising campaign.
We hope that our guide will help you understand the basics of promotion and choose the proper method for you and your business.